Thursday, May 16, 2013

Try doing what your trainer told you to do in the first place!!!



Since my last post I have gained 20 pounds and am sporting quite the "bulge" of shame.  I have tried the diets, the pills, the trainers.  The best results have come when I have paired my efforts with someone who knows about health/wellness and movement.  I believe in getting help when you need it!

So, why am I where I am now?  To begin with... My Son.  I mentioned in a previous post, that my son is struggling with weight issues and is getting bullied and teased at school.  I am not a good person to ask about health and wellness and am at a loss on how to help him.  I don't want him to have the same body and food issues that I struggle with, so I found a man in our city who is quite good and runs a kid fit program.

My son has been learning how to strength train properly and more importantly, how and what to eat.  He is learning that your body is what it is and you cannot change your basic body type, but you can improve strength and mobility.  You can help your body become efficient at processing calories and you can learn to love yourself.  On a particularly tough day, I was telling him he needed to go train and he asked me what my workouts were like.  I was working with a different trainer in a women's fitness program at the time.  I LOVED my trainer and the girls I worked out with.

However, in an effort to keep my son motivated, I decided to change over to his trainer and do his workouts so that we could commiserate on the journey together.

This is where all of my so called wisdom went out the window.  First thing I was told is that I don't eat enough.  What do you mean?  I am eating 900 - 1200 calories a day.  Yeah I have been plateaued for about a year, but I'm good... right?  Change in plan!!!  You need to eat your RMR (what the HECK is an RMR?)  Resting Metabolic Rate www.restingmetabolicrate.net .  You need to feed your body the calories it needs just to survive, then exercise to create a deficit.  WHAT!!! I had no idea what my RMR even was... I went to the local college and had a quick test done.  2203 calories is what my body needs just to lay around and breathe.  How can I eat 2203 calories a day????  That's just crazy talk!!!

"If at first you don't succeed, Try doing what your trainer told you to do in the first place!"

It is there on the wall in black and white every time I step into the gym.  I focus on it during a particularly difficult 40 second set.  I cling to it with every extra calorie I shove into my mouth.  Trusting my body and my fitness to my trainer.  It is a very hard thing to do when everything you have ever learned or experienced tells you something different.

Maybe this diet pill will work.  Or this eating plan...(NOT) 

Well let me tell you right now.  You want to get fit and get results?  You have to put in the time and the sweat and you have to trust.  Do what your trainer told you to do in the first place!!!

 I am trusting my child and my body to the capable hands of my trainer.  I have begun increasing my caloric intake.  First to 1750 per day, now to 2000.  Guess what?  I gained weight!!!  But, I was told that I might.  The body needs to get used to the new caloric input and become efficient once again in utilizing energy.  I am doing the work and I am going to keep going!!!  More important, now I have a good base to help my son achieve his goals.  We are doing it together.

This time I am trusting that mind/body wellness will come with the continued trust and effort.  I have HIGH expectations and a LONG term goal.  I am teaching my child the RIGHT way to care for his health and hoping to build a lifetime of "healthy" for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment