Thursday, February 7, 2013

The scale will NOT define me!!!



I had an epiphany yesterday while I was at the massage therapist.  Not a zen induced euphoria, but a true a ha moment thanks to my therapist.  I was bemoaning the fact that I had put on 25 pounds and now in the process of losing weight I had already lost instead of continuing on my journey to wellness.  I mean, I have lost and gained the same 50 pounds more times that I can count and it is extremely depressing to know that I am re-doing the work… again.

 She simply said “Once I let go of the idea of the scale and what the world thinks I should weigh, it was much easier to just work on my best self.  If I feel good in my skin, then I am good.  Don’t get so hung up on that number.   If I go on a trip, I have a good time, eat what I want, and know that I will resume my program when I get back because that is what makes me feel good.”

Wow!  When I go on vacation, I eat and play, then beat myself up when I get home and get on the scale.  Sometimes it takes me weeks to resume my program because I am so discouraged by how quickly I can gain weight.   I am the kind of person who weighs in the morning and evening.  I can tell you how much the average bowl movement weighs because, yup, I weighed before and after.  I have been so caught up on the scale and what it is telling me about myself, that I am missing the journey.  I don’t concentrate on how my body feels and what it is telling me.   

For example, last night’s workout was upper body in the extreme.  My shoulders are starting to round out and look really good.  The scale tells me I am failing.  My body is trying to tell me that it is getting stronger and more healthy. 

I want to feel good in my skin, but unless I can pay attention to my body during this process, how am I going to know when I do?  What about that time that I have hit my goal?  How will I continue to make healthy choices if I don’t realize how truly crappy I feel when I don’t? 

I know that I personally cannot get rid of the scale.  I need to see it and be accountable to it.  However, I also need to pay attention when my body is telling me that we are making progress.  Sometimes the scale takes a while to get with the program.  I need to celebrate those little moments that keep me motivated when the scale says…”You are up!!!”  Celebrate the fact that I made it to the studio for a workout.  Celebrate that I made a healthy food choice at lunch.  Celebrate the healthy feeling.  Simply Celebrate a happy moment. 

I am going to work on body awareness so that I can be more mindful as I progress.  Can you say “oooooohhhhmmmmmmm”.



No comments:

Post a Comment