Monday, January 28, 2013

If a kid can do it...

I have now included my nine year old son in my fitness journey.  He has a body type like his father and tends towards being overweight.  Because of the spotlight that has been placed on obesity, he finds himself being teased and put down by peers at school, and I am very sad to say also adults.  We had an incident at a restaurant where a grown man brought him to tears by calling him chubby.

Having no clue about children's fitness or diet I decided to find somewhere that I could get some help and learn how to help him.  There is a trainer in Tooele who does a Kids Fit program.  I have to say I was doing quite the happy dance when I found him.  The program includes 3 weekly workouts and a food plan.  I don't really want to get crazy on the food plan but do want him to learn healthy habits.

One thing this program offered was one free "Trial" workout.  So, I went home and talked up the trainer and the program.  "He is really fun!  There will be other kids and you can learn to workout safely for your body".  My son agreed and we went that week.  Oh man.  That was a HARD workout.  I am watching this little boy do pushups, lunges, pullups, shoulder presses etc.  They did four circuits with a 1 minute break in between each set just like I am doing in bootcamp.  One thing that really struck home as I am watching my son, obviously in pain and wanting to stop.  He "Stuck it out".  He did not stop once and did each and every set as directed.

In the car on the way home my sweet boy says.  "Mom, can we just increase my activity?  I don't think I like to workout".  I really had to laugh.  I then made a deal with him.  If you go, then I will make sure that I do my workouts just as hard as you do. 

Ok, so I will admit that often I find myself on the floor gasping for breath, crying on the inside during my workouts thinking "Please just make it stop!!!"  Often I then reduce my effort for a quick rest.  This amazing little boy just kept going.  So, my hero is my son and I have to think to myself as I am wanting to rest... "If a kid can do it..."

I CAN DO THIS!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment