Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Day 1 - Women's Wellness Bootcamp

One thing I have realized along this journey is that for now, I cannot do this alone.  I need help staying on track and getting motivated to move forward.  Luckily, I have found a fitness class in my neighborhood that specializes in fitness for women.

It does not matter if you have never exercised before or if you are a veteran mover and shaker.  The message is "Make each workout YOURS".  Move at your level, but keep moving!!!

I have been in the group for a while, but have taken some time off.  I thought I was ready to go it alone, but quickly caved to the siren call of the television and junk food.  Today feels as if it is really my first day.  The scale looms as if it waiting to scream out my failure.  SHE GAINED 25 POUNDS IN 3 MONTHS!!!  WHAT A LOSER!!!  The humiliation is HUGE.  I know some of the women in the class.  I have cheered them on for months.  I know in my heart they will support me as I move on, but my head is shouting discouragement.

I packed my workout clothes the night before so that I will not have the excuse of "I forgot my clothes".  Then the wait and the arguments in my head.  I'm tired.  It won't matter if you just miss the first day.  It is soooo cold (8 degrees).

At the end of my workday I trudged down to the restroom to change my clothes and head out to class.  Yes!  I won the battle!  I actually made it!  Got on the scale and did the measurements.  Very sad to see how far I had gone down hill over the last 3 months, although I knew it... I just did not want to see it.

Now that I have my starting point I am ready to go!  Then the words FIT TEST echo in the room.  Oh man!!

The fit test helps you to know where you are at the beginning of the boot camp.  You then test at the end to see how far you have come in the 10 weeks you spend at class.  I have to tell you, I went all out.  I did not want to have my numbers be totally awful.  I mean, I have been working out for 3 years, I can do this.  Maybe I should have given myself some wiggle room for next time.  Although the fit test consisted of only 7 exercises and about 15 minutes I seriously could barely support my own hefty weight as I left the room.  I forgot about the 60 steps I needed to get to the car.  The 2 squats in and out of the car.  The 16 steps up to my bedroom.  So sad that I was completely done in.  Just 15 minutes had left me a puddle of jellly.

I am looking forward now to getting stronger and healthier as the days go on.  Dead in 15 minutes on day 1.  The adventure of the next 10 weeks is gonna be GREAT! (right?).

No comments:

Post a Comment